Enjoy a Clutter Free New Year
Enjoy a Clutter Free New Year with these Holiday Organizing Tips
The holidays are a time full of family, friends, food, and lot’s of chaos. We know the holidays can get a bit chaotic, between the decorations, wrapping gifts, and having company over, you’re usually left with a bit of a mess. What may seem like a monumental task doesn’t have to be so daunting.
Check out these holiday organization tips to help you put your home back in order after the holidays.
Downsize Your Christmas Décor
Everyone dreads having to haul their christmas decorations out of storage every year. This year, before you put them away sort through them and determine which you really want to keep and which are just fillers. You’d be surprised to find how many items you no longer use but still have tucked away.
Ask yourself these questions when cleaning out your christmas storage:
- How much of what you own did you actually use this year?
- How much of what you own do you really love?
- How much of what you own has meaning to you, be it fond memories or a gift from a loved one?
- How easy was it for you to find the decor you wanted, and then how easy was it to put it away?
Follow these guidelines if you’re still unsure on what to keep and what to toss:
- Get rid of any broken or duplicate decorations.
- Ditch any light strings that no longer work.
- Set aside any decorations that have become too difficult for you to put up.
- Do the same for anything that no longer suits your taste.
- Likewise for those decorations you never really liked but have hung onto anyway.
- Don’t have room on your tree for all the ornaments in a set? Keep only as many as you actually use.
- Get rid of anything else you haven’t used for the past two or three Christmases.
Offer decorations in good condition to friends and family, then donate, sell or toss whatever they don’t take. Your storage space will be more organized and next year’s holiday decorating will be much merrier.
Store Decorations in Order of Use
Packing boxes, bins and bags of decorations in order of use is an easy way to clean up after Christmas. For example, if you always decorate from the outside in, store your ornaments in the back of your storage area and your outdoor lights in front.
Here are some helpful storage tips for Christmas decorations:
- Wrap your lights around old wrapping paper tubes or store-bought holders so they don’t tangle.
- Reuse those holiday popcorn tins to store ornaments that aren’t fragile.
- For fragile items, create your own sectional storage by lining a regular bin or box with plastic cups.
- Wrap an artificial tree in garbage bags to keep it free of dust and cobwebs.
- Color-code all your Christmas storage items so you can quickly tell them from the other stuff in your storage area.
- Label each storage item with the contents.
These tips will save you time that would ordinarily be spent rooting around your storage area to find the decorations you need.
Give Your Gifts a Home
Your gifts can’t stay in the living room forever. One of the simplest ways to clean up after Christmas is to give each gift a permanent home. Whether it be your closet, on a shelf, or in a storage bin, put your gifts away after Christmas. If you can’t find a home for it, make one by getting rid of something else you no longer want or need. That way you won’t have to dig through clutter to find those gifts when you want to use them.
We hope you found these tips helpful when organizing your home after the holidays. Remember staying organized is the best way to ensure you have a clutter free new year. If you find your home is filled with clutter, call us at Waste Solutions 123 and rent a dumpster to tackle your household waste!